Monday, February 18, 2013

Proposal and More on Coffee

I have decided to do my research on Peabody Hall of Miami University. It is one of the most easily accessible spaces for me, since I live there. Also, it has one of the most diverse and interesting histories on campus. It is the center for the Universities Western Program, and was originally the main building for the college of Women. There is many ways for me to do research on the building. I could do general research on college dormitories, and then do more specific research on the hall itself. There is a museum on the ground floor that gives good information on the history of the building, and the history of it's more famous inhabitants. It would also be beneficial to talk about some of the ghost stories that circulate the hall, not to validate their accuracy, but to include them as an integral part of the history of the building. There have been three separate fires that have engulfed the building, which add to the ghost stories, and provide interesting researchable material.

There are some interesting research methods being used in coffee and in shopping. In coffee, the author extensively quotes other people's thoughts and ideas, mostly from books or articles they have written. Also, the author gives specific background detailes about Starbucks. He tells the readers the amount of Starbucks stores there are, the net growth of the stores, and the monetary worth of the franchise. This info gives the reader a sense of the scope, size, and power of the stores to influence their lives. It would be helpful to include background info in my research so that the reader may understand the space with more detail. Perhaps I should explain the lay-out of Peabody Hall, the size of it, and a description of the study areas. A research method used in "Shopping" is the use of analogy. Even though the thing I am researching is a tangible space, I can still draw analogies from other buildings. Other buildings on campus, or even dormitories in general, can be compared and contrasted to Peabody.

2 comments:

  1. I agree that the history of a place can give a lot of detail as to the purpose of that given space.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i think investigating Peabody Hall is a really interesting choice given all the history it contains! I think you will have a lot of good research based on what you have planned out.

    ReplyDelete