It has been through multiple fires, seen thousands of men and women pass through its doors, and has been a place of learning in its multiple classrooms. It is the center of learning for the Western Program at Miami University and probably has the most diverse history of any other residence hall. Even the name of this building gives a hint to the vast amount of history it has witnessed. Peabody Hall is named after the first headmaster for the school of girls, Helen Peabody, an odd figure, shrouded in superstition and mystery. It is rumored she still walks the halls as a Ghost, preying on the boys of the residence hall who have invaded her personal living space. Since the school was originally just for girls, boys would have not been allowed to come into the building, thus the reasoning behind the superstitions.
So why am I going to do research on this building? Why is an old girls college so interesting to me? The first reason is quite simple, I am a resident in the hall. I find that it is more interesting to do research about a space that you frequently visit, rather than one you sometimes pass through. I will have more time to dissect the space, and visit its many corridors. The second reason, the building is just plain interesting. It is difficult for me to talk about ghosts in a realistic sense because I am normally a rational person, but the ghost stories that float through the halls are so diverse, and interesting, that it is vital to include them as an integral part of the history of the building.
The building is so full of history that it has its own mini museum on the ground floor. All the information in the museum is citable material, so obtaining information about the buildings past should be easy. Also, it may be possible to gain access to some of the more off-limits spots of the building such as the basement, and the attic. Those areas may have remained nearly unchanged for many decades, giving a researcher a glimpse into the past. It may be possible to do an interview with a custodian, or faculty member about their experiences in the building, or do a survey to get an idea of the amount of people who claim to have seen a ghost. No matter what I decide to do for research, I can tell you one thing, Peabody will find a way to make it interesting.
Kaleb,
ReplyDeleteI agree that this will be interesting. What I find intriguing is that there is some "hidden history" of this place (i.e. the off-limits areas and secrets) that actually shape the space you know. Those things that we might call x manifest in the form of ghost stories, myths, and lore. As you explore it will be interesting to see if you come to dismiss ghosts, embrace them, or feel the same. Cool project!